Thursday, October 14, 2010

New Jersey :o

I have lived in New Jersey now for just over two months and I continue to find cultural idiosyncrasies that baffle me.  So I made a list and I will probably update it as I notice more.

  • 1.  You can't pump your own gas!
It took me four weeks to figure this out.  Every time I want to go get gas I was looking form the self-serve pump but I kept on ending up at the full service pump.  I finally mentioned it to someone and they looked at me like I had lost my mind.  I of course was thoroughly embarrassed.

  • 2.  There are no left hand turns on highways and major roads.
I'm tired of going in circles.  Every time I want to take a left hand turn I have to turn right, go in a really big circle that takes me around and if you miss your U-turn It will take you an extra 5 minutes to get to where you are going.


  • 3.  Coleslaw and Pickles.
I have enjoyed exploring the local dinners and I've noticed something strange.  If you order a cheeseburger you don't automatically get fries with it.  You get coleslaw and pickles.  If you want fries that is a deluxe meal.  I have never thought of coleslaw and pickles as a natural combination.  I like coleslaw and I like pickles but what is their obsession with serving them together.


  • 4. Littering!!!
There is more litter on the side of the freeways then I have ever seen before.  However; I have seen more evidence of recycling than I did in Utah.  If they are concerned enough about the Earth to recycle why can't they throw away there trash in a proper receptacle?

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

I know NJ's quirks all too well! Sorry that I neglected to tell you beforehand about them. I'm sure you're looking forward to uncovering more!